A Clay Jar

Encouraging, comforting, and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory. (1 Thess. 2:12 NIV)

Be Careful Who You Listen to

2 Chronicles 24:17-18

Published on:

Last Updated on:

After the death of Jehoiada, the officials of Judah came and paid homage to the king, and he listened to them. They abandoned the temple of the LORD, the God of their ancestors, and worshiped Asherah poles and idols. Because of their guilt, God’s anger came on Judah and Jerusalem.

2 Chronicles 24:17-18 NIV

Joash was a king of Judah during the time of the divided kingdom. During the early years of Joash’s reign, Jehoiada was the high priest and served as his spiritual advisor, leading him to serve the Lord. During this time, there was a return to the worship of YHWH, and the nation prospered. But when Jehoiada died, a different group of people claimed the king’s ear. And they led him into the worship of idols. And the nation suffered as a consequence.

I believe this illustrates the importance of those we gather around us and the influence that they can have. This is true of national leaders as well as those of us with little in the way of leadership roles. We are all impacted and influenced by those we are close to. So it is important that the people we hang around with are those who will provide a godly influence and encourage us in our faithfulness to the Lord. Like Jehoiada did for Joash. Be careful who you listen to.

Additional Related Posts

If you have found value in this post, please consider sharing it with your friends.

Subscribe to A Clay Jar

If you have found value in this post, please consider subscribing to A Clay Jar so that you don't miss any other posts. 

Ed Jarrett

Just an old clay jar that God continues to see fit to use in his kingdom's work. I am retired, married with 2 children, and 4 grandchildren. I have followed Jesus for many years. And I love to share what He has given me from His word.

A Note to Readers

The views expressed here are solely mine and do not necessarily reflect those of any other person, group, or organization. While I believe they reflect the teachings of the Bible, I am a fallible human and subject to misunderstanding. Please feel free to leave any comments or questions about this post in the comments section below. I am always interested in your feedback.