A Clay Jar

Encouraging, comforting, and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory. (1 Thess. 2:12 NIV)

In the Beginning, God

Genesis 1:1

Published on:

Last Updated on:

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Genesis 1:1 NIV

The story of the Bible starts at the beginning. There have been many beginnings in the history of the earth. The beginning of life. The beginning of humanity. As well as the beginning of an uncounted number of nations and civilizations. But the beginning that the author of Genesis refers to is before all of those beginnings. He is referring to the very first beginning in the universe. The beginning of the universe itself. The beginning of all physical substance. And the beginning of space. Even the beginning of time itself.

But it would be incorrect to say that there was nothing before God created. Because, before the beginning of creation, there was God. Nowhere does the Scripture attempt to explain where God came from. He just is. And everything in all the universe owes its existence to him.

This verse is so easy to read, quickly moving on to what follows. But to do so is a mistake. I believe this is one of the most meaningful verses in the Bible. Regardless of how you understand the chapter that follows, this verse tells us that God created all that is. There was nothing. And then God created a universe out of that nothing. That is incomprehensible to me.

But what follows is equally hard to grasp. This God that created everything out of nothing, entered into his creation to provide redemption for fallen humanity. And to bring us into a personal and intimate relationship as his children.

Additional Related Posts

If you have found value in this post, please consider sharing it with your friends.

Subscribe to A Clay Jar

If you have found value in this post, please consider subscribing to A Clay Jar so that you don't miss any other posts. 

Ed Jarrett

Just an old clay jar that God continues to see fit to use in his kingdom's work. I am retired, married with 2 children, and 4 grandchildren. I have followed Jesus for many years. And I love to share what He has given me from His word.

A Note to Readers

The views expressed here are solely mine and do not necessarily reflect those of any other person, group, or organization. While I believe they reflect the teachings of the Bible, I am a fallible human and subject to misunderstanding. Please feel free to leave any comments or questions about this post in the comments section below. I am always interested in your feedback.

Leave a Comment