A Clay Jar

Encouraging, comforting, and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory. (1 Thess. 2:12 NIV)

Jesus Prayed for a Unified Church

John 17:20-23

Published on:

Last updated on:

“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

John 17:20-23 NIV

The seventeenth chapter of John is a prayer. Jesus prayed for himself, for his disciples, and for the believers who would come after them. And that includes us. His words in the verses above are his prayer for his church today. And that prayer is that we would experience complete unity. A unity that is modeled after that of God the Father and God the Son. A unity that would be a sign to the unbelieving world, pointing them to Jesus and to the Father.

The World Will Know Us by Our Love

But it is hard to imagine a church that is less unified than what we find today. Conflict, rather than unity and love (John 13:34-35) seem to characterize the church today. Is it any wonder that, at least in the west, the church is in decline. And that the world around us, rather than seeing God glorified in us, mocks God because of us. Be willing to embrace all who call on the name of the Lord. We may disagree on some issues of faith and practice. But, if Jesus is our Lord, we are one body, regardless of those differences. Let the world see Jesus through us as a unified church, loving one another.

Additional Related Posts

If you have found value in this post, please consider sharing it with your friends.

Subscribe to A Clay Jar

If you have found value in this post, please consider subscribing to A Clay Jar so that you don't miss any other posts. 

Ed Jarrett

Just an old clay jar that God continues to see fit to use in his kingdom's work. I am retired, married with 2 children, and 4 grandchildren. I have followed Jesus for many years. And I love to share what He has given me from His word.

A Note to Readers

The views expressed here are solely mine and do not necessarily reflect those of any other person, group, or organization. While I believe they reflect the teachings of the Bible, I am a fallible human and subject to misunderstanding. Please feel free to leave any comments or questions about this post in the comments section below. I am always interested in your feedback.

2 thoughts on “Jesus Prayed for a Unified Church – John 17:20-23”

• One church with one heart and mind. I do not know what you mean by the mother church. None of our denominations today are perfect. But all who have been redeemed are a part of Christ’s Church, the universal body of believers.

Leave a Comment