The Thessalonian Epistles
Devotional readings from Paul's two letters to the Thessalonian church.
- Faith, Hope, and Love – 1 Thessalonians 1:2 (5/4/2021) - Is the church you are a part of known by your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope?
- Pleasing God Rather than People – 1 Thessalonians 2:4 (5/11/2021) - Like Paul, my goal should be to be pleasing to God rather than to the people around me. He is the one I am answerable to in the end.
- Live a Life Worthy of God – 1 Thessalonians 2:11-12 (1/25/2023) - Paul's plea for us all is that we would live a life worthy of God. That we would live holy and godly lives that are pleasing to God.
- Our Glory and Joy – 1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 (6/18/2023) - What will be our glory and Joy when the Lord returns for us? Paul tells us that, at least in part, it will be in the lives we have touched.
- Increasing in Love – 1 Thessalonians 3:12 (5/18/2021) - Paul's prayer for the Thessalonian church is that they would be ever increasing in their love for each other. An active love.
- Blameless and Holy in the Presence of God – 1 Thessalonians 3:13 (6/19/2023) - My God strengthen your heart so that you might be blameless and holy in his presence when our Lord returns for us.
- Never Stop Growing in Love – 1 Thessalonians 4:10 (7/7/2022) - Don't be content with your love for other believers. Let it grow. Never stop growing in your love for others within the body of Christ.
- With the Lord Forever – 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14, 17-18 (3/26/2018) - One of the few certainties that we face as humans is death. But we need not fear death. It is birth into life with the Lord forever.
- Let’s Stay Awake and Sober – 1 Thessalonians 5:6 (1/17/2022) - Jesus promised that he would return for us. While we wait for his coming, we need to stay awake and sober, not caught up in the world's ways.
- Encourage One Another – 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (3/27/2018) - As fellow members in the body of Christ, we should be actively involved in the lives of our fellow members. Be an encourager and a builder.
- Rejoice, Pray and Give Thanks – 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (1/21/2014) - Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Nothing needs saying.
- Always Rejoice and Give Thanks – 1 Thess. 5:16-18 (4/13/2020) - What is God's will for your life? His will is that we rejoice always, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances.
- Quenching the Spirit – 1 Thessalonians 5:19-22 (6/20/2023) - Ignoring or rejecting God's message to us is one way of quenching the Spirit. Test the message and, if it is from God, then obey it.
- A Flourishing Faith and a Growing Love – 2 Thessalonians 1:3 (12/6/2021) - The church at Thessalonica was flourishing in faith and growing in love. They were, and are, an example of what is important for a church.
- When the Lord Jesus is Revealed – 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10 (7/11/2022) - When the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven, his people will be glorified in him. And his enemies will suffer a just punishment.
- Worthy of His Calling – 2 Thessalonians 1:11 (3/28/2018) - Do you want to be worthy of God's calling? Only God can make you worthy. And he does. And he will bless our efforts toward doing good.
- They Refused to Love the Truth – 2 Thessalonians 2:10 (3/29/2018) - Don't be ashamed of the truth. Love the truth. Boldly proclaim it. But recognize that there are some who will refuse to believe it.
- Stand Firm and Hold Fast – 2 Thessalonians 2:15 (7/12/2022) - Jesus is returning for us some day. But, while we wait, stand firm in your faith and hold fast to the teachings of Jesus and his apostles.
- Strengthened and Protected – 2 Thessalonians 3:3 (7/24/2022) - I can depend on the Lord Jesus to strengthen me with his power and to protected me from any attacks by the evil one.
- Never Tire of Doing Good – 2 Thessalonians 3:13 (3/30/2018) - The challenge in this verse is not about being good. It is in doing good. Never tire of doing good, of doing what is right.