Old Testament Law
The posts listed here are studies in the Old Testament Law books, Genesis through Deuteronomy. It is a growing collection that expands each time I read through the Old Testament.
Table of contents
- In the Beginning, God – Genesis 1:1 (8/5/2020) - In the beginning, God. Before anything else existed, there was God. He is before all things, creator and upholder of all things.
- Calling On the Name of the Lord – Genesis 13:4 (2/7/2022) - To call on the name of the Lord is, at least in part, to declare your allegiance and commitment to him. It is to be known by his name.
- Abram Believed the Lord – Genesis 15:6 (4/21/2018) - Abraham had every reason in the world to doubt what God had promised him. But he believed, and God counted that belief as righteousness.
- The Sacrifice of Isaac – Genesis 22:9-12 (3/14/2022) - God called on Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, the one he treasured most. And Abraham did. Am I willing to sacrifice what is most valuable to me?
- The Danger In Running Ahead of God – Genesis 27:5-10 (1/13/2021) - God calls us to follow and to serve him. But often we find ourselves running ahead of God rather than following. And that is never good.
- Blessed Because of Joseph – Genesis 39:5 (12/18/2019) - Does God bless faithfulness? I believe he does. And the story of Joseph shows that others will also be blessed because of our faithfulness.
- Living a Life of Integrity Before God – Genesis 39:9 (6/10/2020) - As believers in the Lord Jesus, we are called to live a life of integrity. Joseph sets a wonderful example of integrity for us to follow.
- God Works Even Through Our Suffering – Genesis 45:7 (5/1/2022) - Suffering is not pleasant. But the story of Joseph demonstrates that God can work, even through our suffering, to accomplish his purpose,
- Jacob and Leah: A Happy Ending – Genesis 49:31 (2/5/2020) - The marriage of Jacob and Leah is not likely one that you would see as being happy. Yet in the end, faithful Leah had victory over Rachel.
- Why Do Good People Suffer? – Genesis 50:19-20 (1/27/2021) - Why do good people suffer? This is a question that many ask. And this response from Joseph to his brothers provides one possible answer.
- Standing on Holy Ground – Exodus 3:5 (5/26/2021) - What do you do when you come into God's presence? God told Moses to remove his shoes because he was standing on holy ground.
- I Will Be With You – Exodus 3:12 (2/13/2019) - How often do we feel inadequate for the task God has given us? But, as God told Moses "I will be with you", so he will also be with us.
- I Am Slow of Speech and Tongue – Exodus 4:10 (1/29/2020) - I can identify with Moses' excuse that he was slow of speech. But God can equip me to do whatever he calls on me to do. Including speak.
- Who Is the Lord? – Exodus 5:2 (5/16/2022) - Who is the LORD? This is a question Pharoah asked, and many today still ask it. The best response I can give is a life lived for Him.
- A Pillar of Cloud and Fire – Exodus 13:21-22 (5/26/2022) - As they traveled through the wilderness, Israel was led by a pillar of cloud and fire. Today, we are led by the Bible and the Holy Spirit.
- Trust in the Lord – Exodus 14:31 (5/29/2022) - Do you trust in the Lord? It is easy to do when there are no problems in life. But do you also trust him when faced with challenges?
- Lend a Helping Hand to an Enemy – Exodus 23:4-5 (2/3/2021) - Our natural reaction is often to turn away from helping an enemy. But this passage instructs us to lend a helping hand to them.
- Waiting to Hear from God – Exodus 24:15-16 (11/21/2022) - When you come before God in prayer, how long will you wait on him to hear from him? Will you, like Moses, wait as long as it takes?
- The Lord Relented – A Lesson in Prayer – Exodus 32:14 (2/27/2018) - How effective is prayer? Does it make a difference? God's plan from eternity past took into account our prayer, so yes, it makes a difference
- The Distinguishing Mark of God’s People – Exodus 33:16 (4/17/2019) - It is God's presence within me, the Holy Spirit, that is a distinguishing mark of God's people, showing that I am a part of God's kingdom.
- Bezalel: Gifted by God – Exodus 35:30-33 (2/12/2020) - Every believer has been gifted by God to serve in his kingdom. They might seem spiritual in nature. But they could also be physical talents.
- The Women Who Served – Exodus 38:8 (7/21/2022) - This passage includes an obscure reference to women who served at the tabernacle. It illustrates a challenge in understanding the Scripture.
- Giving God Your Best – Exodus 39:1 (6/28/2022) - God is not overly concerned about external trappings. But God does want us to give him the best of what we have. Honor him with your best.
- Because I Am the Lord Your God! – Leviticus 19:3 (6/12/2019) - Why should we obey God? Out of fear of punishment? In hope of reward? Or out of obedience? That he is God should be reason enough.
- Without Defect or Blemish – Leviticus 22:21 (7/26/2022) - God calls on us to give him the best that we have, sacrifices without defect or blemish. Don't just give him your leftovers.
- The Logistics of the Exodus – Numbers 2:32 (8/4/2022) - Have you ever stopped to consider the logistics of Israel's exodus from Egypt? Managing a group of over 2 million people for 40 years?
- Where Do You Meet With God? – Numbers 7:89 (8/10/2022) - Moses met with God in the Tabernacle. Jesus went into the mountains. Where do you go to meet with God? To spend quality time with him?
- Following the Cloud – Numbers 9:15-17 (8/14/2022) - During the wilderness wandering Israel had a cloud to follow. Today, we have the Holy Spirit to lead us along God's path for us.
- Like Grasshoppers in Our Own Eyes – Numbers 13:33 (8/16/2022) - We may feel like grasshoppers in our own eyes when facing our giants. But our God is bigger. And we can face them unafraid.
- The Earth Swallowed Them Up – Numbers 16:28-33 (8/7/2019) - How do you deal with leadership problems within the church? God showed one method when the earth opened up and swallowed up the problem.
- Out of the Mouth of a Talking Donkey – Numbers 22:28 (9/18/2019) - Does God need to use the mouth of a talking donkey to get your attention? Or are you willing to listen to what he says in his word or through other people?
- Delight in the Word of God – Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (9/11/2019) - Like the Israelites were encouraged to do in the Shema, delight yourself in the word of God. Make it a integral part of your daily life and all you do.
- The Danger of Prosperity – Deuteronomy 6:12 (9/16/2022) - There is nothing inherently wrong with prosperity. But the danger of prosperity lies in allowing it to turn your thoughts away from the Lord.
- A Test from God – Deuteronomy 9:13-14 (9/20/2022) - During the golden calf incident at Sinai, God tested Moses by offering to destroy Israel and make Moses into a great nation. Moses passed.
- For My Own Good – Deuteronomy 10:12-13 (11/6/2019) - Why should I walk with God and live in obedience to him? He knows what is best for me. And living in obedience to him is for my own good.
- Make God’s Word a Priority – Deuteronomy 11:18-19 (9/22/2022) - We need to make God's word a priority in all that we do. It will help us to stand firm. And to pass on our faith to the next generation.
- Do You Pass the Test? – Deuteronomy 13:1-4 (9/25/2022) - Where is your heart? Is it fully devoted to the Lord? God allows many things in this world to test our loyalty. Do you pass the test?
- Give Generously to the Poor – Deuteronomy 15:10 (9/26/2022) - There are many people who are in real need today. Be willing to give generously to the needy that you come into contact with.
- The Importance of Daily Bible Reading – Deuteronomy 17:18-20 (9/28/2022) - The importance of reading your Bible on a daily basis is hard to over-emphasize. It will enable you to draw closer to God and to follow him.
- Giving the Tithe – Deuteronomy 26:12 (10/7/2022) - While giving a tithe of your income is not a requirement under the new covenant, generosity is still expected. Help those who are in need.
- The Secret Things Belong to the Lord – Deuteronomy 29:29 (10/12/2022) - There is much that God has revealed to us, but not everything. There are secret things that he has chosen not to reveal to us yet.
- God Sets before Us Life or Death – Deuteronomy 30:15-18 (10/13/2022) - The same choice God gave to Israel over 3000 years ago is the same one that we have today. Life and prosperity or death and destruction.