Old Testament Law
The posts listed here are studies in the Old Testament Law books, Genesis through Deuteronomy. It is a growing collection that expands each time I read through the Old Testament.
- In the Beginning, God – Genesis 1:1 (8/5/2020) - In the beginning, God. Before anything else existed, there was God. He is before all things, creator and upholder of all things.
- Is God Holding Out on Me? – Genesis 3:6 (4/2/2023) - Is God holding out on me? Would my life be better if I did what appealed to me rather than obey God? Or is God's way always the best for me?
- Sin Is Crouching at the Door – Genesis 4:7 (4/3/2023) - God told Cain that sin was crouching at the door, but he must rule over it. And that is just as true for us. Don't let sin rule in your life.
- Calling On the Name of the Lord – Genesis 13:4 (2/7/2022) - To call on the name of the Lord is, at least in part, to declare your allegiance and commitment to him. It is to be known by his name.
- Pitching Your Tent – Genesis 13:18 (4/13/2023) - Where have you pitched your tent, and put down roots? Are you where God wants you to be? If so, you can expect blessings you would otherwise miss.
- Abram Believed the Lord – Genesis 15:6 (4/21/2018) - Abraham had every reason in the world to doubt what God had promised him. But he believed, and God counted that belief as righteousness.
- Abraham and Hagar – Genesis 16:1-4 (4/17/2023) - The Bible was written by a culture very different than ours. And we need to be careful to recognize that difference as we read it today.
- The Sacrifice of Isaac – Genesis 22:9-12 (3/14/2022) - God called on Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, the one he treasured most. And Abraham did. Am I willing to sacrifice what is most valuable to me?
- As the Lord Has Directed – Genesis 24:50-51 (4/24/2023) - Rebecca's family recognized the Lord directing the servant to them. And they submitted to his leading. Do I recognize and submit to his leading?
- The Danger In Running Ahead of God – Genesis 27:5-10 (1/13/2021) - God calls us to follow and to serve him. But often we find ourselves running ahead of God rather than following. And that is never good.
- Blessed Because of Joseph – Genesis 39:5 (12/18/2019) - Does God bless faithfulness? I believe he does. And the story of Joseph shows that others will also be blessed because of our faithfulness.
- Living a Life of Integrity Before God – Genesis 39:9 (6/10/2020) - As believers in the Lord Jesus, we are called to live a life of integrity. Joseph sets a wonderful example of integrity for us to follow.
- God Works Even Through Our Suffering – Genesis 45:7 (5/1/2022) - Suffering is not pleasant. But the story of Joseph demonstrates that God can work, even through our suffering, to accomplish his purpose,
- Jacob and Leah: A Happy Ending – Genesis 49:31 (2/5/2020) - The marriage of Jacob and Leah is not likely one that you would see as being happy. Yet in the end, faithful Leah had victory over Rachel.
- Why Do Good People Suffer? – Genesis 50:19-20 (1/27/2021) - Why do good people suffer? This is a question that many ask. And this response from Joseph to his brothers provides one possible answer.
- God Has Not Forgotten You – Exodus 2:23-25 (5/13/2023) - Does it seem sometimes like God has forgotten you? If you are his, you can rest assured that he will act on your behalf when the time is best.
- Standing on Holy Ground – Exodus 3:5 (5/26/2021) - What do you do when you come into God's presence? God told Moses to remove his shoes because he was standing on holy ground.
- Working Together with God – Exodus 3:8-10 (5/14/2023) - God frequently calls on us to work together with him in what he is doing. He is the master craftsman teaching as he involves us in his work.
- I Will Be With You – Exodus 3:12 (2/13/2019) - How often do we feel inadequate for the task God has given us? But, as God told Moses "I will be with you", so he will also be with us.
- I Am Slow of Speech and Tongue – Exodus 4:10 (1/29/2020) - I can identify with Moses' excuse that he was slow of speech. But God can equip me to do whatever he calls on me to do. Including speak.
- Who Is the Lord? – Exodus 5:2 (5/16/2022) - Who is the LORD? This is a question Pharoah asked, and many today still ask it. The best response I can give is a life lived for Him.
- A Pillar of Cloud and Fire – Exodus 13:21-22 (5/26/2022) - As they traveled through the wilderness, Israel was led by a pillar of cloud and fire. Today, we are led by the Bible and the Holy Spirit.
- Trust in the Lord – Exodus 14:31 (5/29/2022) - Do you trust in the Lord? It is easy to do when there are no problems in life. But do you also trust him when faced with challenges?
- Lend a Helping Hand to an Enemy – Exodus 23:4-5 (2/3/2021) - Our natural reaction is often to turn away from helping an enemy. But this passage instructs us to lend a helping hand to them.
- Committed to Following the Lord – Exodus 24:3 (6/4/2023) - How often do I fail in my daily commitment to follow the Lord? Too often! But he loves me anyway. And each day I start anew, seeking his way.
- Waiting to Hear from God – Exodus 24:15-16 (11/21/2022) - When you come before God in prayer, how long will you wait on him to hear from him? Will you, like Moses, wait as long as it takes?
- The Pattern of the Tabernacle – Exodus 25:8-9 (6/5/2023) - Moses was instructed to build the Tabernacle according to a specific pattern. And each part of the tabernacle represents something greater.
- The Lord Relented – A Lesson in Prayer – Exodus 32:14 (2/27/2018) - How effective is prayer? Does it make a difference? God's plan from eternity past took into account our prayer, so yes, it makes a difference
- The Distinguishing Mark of God’s People – Exodus 33:16 (4/17/2019) - It is God's presence within me, the Holy Spirit, that is a distinguishing mark of God's people, showing that I am a part of God's kingdom.
- Bezalel: Gifted by God – Exodus 35:30-33 (2/12/2020) - Every believer has been gifted by God to serve in his kingdom. They might seem spiritual in nature. But they could also be physical talents.
- The Women Who Served – Exodus 38:8 (7/21/2022) - This passage includes an obscure reference to women who served at the tabernacle. It illustrates a challenge in understanding the Scripture.
- Giving God Your Best – Exodus 39:1 (6/28/2022) - God is not overly concerned about external trappings. But God does want us to give him the best of what we have. Honor him with your best.
- Be Holy, Because I Am Holy – Leviticus 11:45 (6/21/2023) - Because God is holy, as his children we are also expected to be holy. Seek to be like him, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.
- The Basis for Obedience – Leviticus 19:3 (6/12/2019) - Why should we obey God? Out of fear of punishment? In hope of reward? Or out of obedience? That he is God should be reason enough.
- Because I Am the LORD Your God – Leviticus 20:7-8 (6/29/2023) - Why are we expected to be holy, set apart from the rest of the world? That expectation is rooted in who God is.
- Without Defect or Blemish – Leviticus 22:21 (7/26/2022) - God calls on us to give him the best that we have, sacrifices without defect or blemish. Don't just give him your leftovers.
- I Am the LORD Your God – Leviticus 26:13 (7/3/2023) - Why should we obey God and follow him? Because he is the Lord our God who has created us, redeemed us, and brought us into his family.
- The Logistics of the Exodus – Numbers 2:32 (8/4/2022) - Have you ever stopped to consider the logistics of Israel's exodus from Egypt? Managing a group of over 2 million people for 40 years?
- Where Do You Meet With God? – Numbers 7:89 (8/10/2022) - Moses met with God in the Tabernacle. Jesus went into the mountains. Where do you go to meet with God? To spend quality time with him?
- Following the Cloud – Numbers 9:15-17 (8/14/2022) - During the wilderness wandering Israel had a cloud to follow. Today, we have the Holy Spirit to lead us along God's path for us.
- Like Grasshoppers in Our Own Eyes – Numbers 13:33 (8/16/2022) - We may feel like grasshoppers in our own eyes when facing our giants. But our God is bigger. And we can face them unafraid.
- Forgiveness Doesn’t Eliminate Consequences – Numbers 14:20-23 (7/22/2023) - Forgiveness is always available to us. But that forgiveness does not always eliminate the consequences of our actions.
- The Earth Swallowed Them Up – Numbers 16:28-33 (8/7/2019) - How do you deal with leadership problems within the church? God showed one method when the earth opened up and swallowed up the problem.
- Out of the Mouth of a Talking Donkey – Numbers 22:28 (9/18/2019) - Does God need to use the mouth of a talking donkey to get your attention? Or are you willing to listen to what he says in his word or through other people?
- Does God Keep His Promises? – Numbers 23:19 (7/25/2023) - Unlike humans who often fail to keep their promises, God will always fulfill his promises to us. But it will be in his time, not ours.
- The Battle Is the Lord’s – Deuteronomy 1:29-31 (8/7/2023) - We will face challenging times in this life, and face many enemies. But the battle is the Lord's, not ours. And we can trust him to carry us.
- Delight in the Word of God – Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (9/11/2019) - Like the Israelites were encouraged to do in the Shema, delight yourself in the word of God. Make it a integral part of your daily life and all you do.
- The Danger of Prosperity – Deuteronomy 6:12 (9/16/2022) - There is nothing inherently wrong with prosperity. But the danger of prosperity lies in allowing it to turn your thoughts away from the Lord.
- A Test from God – Deuteronomy 9:13-14 (9/20/2022) - During the golden calf incident at Sinai, God tested Moses by offering to destroy Israel and make Moses into a great nation. Moses passed.
- For My Own Good – Deuteronomy 10:12-13 (11/6/2019) - Why should I walk with God and live in obedience to him? He knows what is best for me. And living in obedience to him is for my own good.
- Make God’s Word a Priority – Deuteronomy 11:18-19 (9/22/2022) - We need to make God's word a priority in all that we do. It will help us to stand firm. And to pass on our faith to the next generation.
- Do You Pass the Test? – Deuteronomy 13:1-4 (9/25/2022) - Where is your heart? Is it fully devoted to the Lord? God allows many things in this world to test our loyalty. Do you pass the test?
- Give Generously to the Poor – Deuteronomy 15:10 (9/26/2022) - There are many people who are in real need today. Be willing to give generously to the needy that you come into contact with.
- The Importance of Daily Bible Reading – Deuteronomy 17:18-20 (9/28/2022) - The importance of reading your Bible on a daily basis is hard to over-emphasize. It will enable you to draw closer to God and to follow him.
- A Warning against the World’s Influence – Deuteronomy 20:18 (8/25/2023) - As believers, we need to guard against the influence of the world. We are not to be like the people around us. Be holy instead.
- Giving the Tithe – Deuteronomy 26:12 (10/7/2022) - While giving a tithe of your income is not a requirement under the new covenant, generosity is still expected. Help those who are in need.
- Declaring That Jesus Is Lord – Deuteronomy 26:17-18 (7/1/2023) - What does it mean to declare that Jesus is Lord? It is more than just words. It involves surrender to him, turning over control of your life.
- The Secret Things Belong to the Lord – Deuteronomy 29:29 (10/12/2022) - There is much that God has revealed to us, but not everything. There are secret things that he has chosen not to reveal to us yet.
- God Sets before Us Life or Death – Deuteronomy 30:15-18 (10/13/2022) - The same choice God gave to Israel over 3000 years ago is the same one that we have today. Life and prosperity or death and destruction.
- Being Used by God – Deuteronomy 31:3-4 (9/7/2023) - God uses people to accomplish much of his work in this world. We are the tools he uses, but he is the power that guides and directs us.