Christian Discipleship: Being a Follower of Jesus
This is an ongoing effort to collect articles that deal specifically with Christian Discipleship. It is my conviction that this is an often overlooked aspect of Christianity. All too often we are satisfied with evangelism. And I agree that is an essential aspect of Christianity. But it is only the beginning, not the end. Discipleship involves a lifelong commitment to, and learning from, Jesus. And, in my opinion, that is also an essential aspect of the faith. Without discipleship, without that commitment to learn and grow, we do not have the relationship with our Lord that we need to have. My hope and prayer is that these articles will be helpful in encouraging you in your own discipleship.
- Discipleship: What Does It Mean to Be a Disciple of Jesus? – Being a disciple of Jesus is much more than just being a fan, sitting on the sidelines and watching the show. A disciple is a follower of Jesus. Someone who has left their old life behind, has taken up their cross, and is following. A disciple is a lifelong learner. And more than a learner. A disciple will be putting into practice the things they have learned from their teacher, the Holy Spirit. Christian discipleship is a way of life.
- How to be Effective and Productive in Christ – 2 Peter 1:5-9 – Being effective and productive in the work of the kingdom requires that we be growing in the virtues of our faith. Never be satisfied.
- Discipleship: How To Become a Disciple of Jesus – Becoming a disciple of Jesus involves two things. The first step is what is often called being born again or being saved. It is identifying Jesus as your Lord. Not just saying the words, but making that commitment. The second step is to follow where he leads, to learn from him, and to put into practice what you have learned.
- Discipleship Starts with Being a Learner – At the foundation of being a disciple is being a learner. Learn the lessons that Jesus has to teach us in his Word and through the Holy Spirit.
- The Cost of Discipleship – Luke 14:33 – What is the cost of discipleship? Jesus says here that unless I give up all that I have, I cannot be his disciple. Discipleship requires that I give everything to him.
The views expressed here are solely mine and do not necessarily reflect those of any other person, group, or organization. While I believe they reflect the teachings of the Bible, I am a fallible human and subject to misunderstanding. Please feel free to leave any comments or questions about this post in the comments section below. I am always interested in your feedback.
If you have found value in this post, please consider subscribing to A Clay Jar so that you don’t miss any other posts.