Home » Bible Study » Philippians and Colossians Studies
Philippians and Colossians
Devotional readings from Paul's letters to the Philippian and Colossian churches.
- Thanking God for You – Philippians 1:3-6 (3/24/2018) - I have been a believer for 50 years now. God has brought many fellow believers into my life. And I thank God for each of you.
- God Is Not Finished With Me Yet – Philippians 1:6 (4/20/2014) - Please be patient, God is not finished with me yet. I am a work in progress. Not by my own efforts. But by the one who knows me best.
- Love Abounding In Knowledge – Philippians 1:9-11 (2/17/2020) - Is your love abounding in knowledge that would give you insight into discerning God's will for your day-to-day life? That is Paul's prayer.
- Responding to Challenging Circumstances – Philippians 1:12 (5/20/2019) - How do you respond to the challenging circumstance that you might find yourself in? Paul tells us that God can use us even then.
- To Live Is Christ and to Die Is Gain – Philippians 1:20-24 (2/25/2014) - How many of us look forward to our physical death? I suspect not many. But, as Paul said, to die is gain. Because then we are with our Lord.
- Conduct Yourselves in a Worthy Manner – Philippians 1:27 (3/30/2021) - Regardless of the circumstances that you might find yourself in, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ.
- The Privilege of Suffering for Christ – Philippians 1:29 (7/22/2019) - Who likes to suffer? No one! But we have been given the privilege of suffering for Christ. Rather than complain about it, we should rejoice in it.
- Value Others Above Yourself – Philippians 2:3-4 (6/23/2021) - How do we build up the body of Christ? One way is let go of selfishness and value other people within the body above yourself.
- The Exaltation of Jesus – Philippians 2:5-11 (7/30/2012) - This early hymn is one of exaltation for Jesus, one who was fully God, who became fully man, and who died as a sacrifice for our sin.
- Work Out Your Salvation – Philippians 2:12-13 (6/17/2019) - How do you work out your salvation? With fear and trembling. Recognize that God is at work in you to accomplish his purpose. Work with him.
- Rejoicing Is a Safeguard for the Believer – Philippians 3:1 (9/15/2021) - Paul repeatedly instructs us to rejoice in the Lord. This is a safeguard that can keep discouragement at bay and keep our focus on him.
- The Surpassing Worth of Knowing Christ – Philippians 3:7-8 (4/6/2021) - What do you have in this life that compares to the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus as Lord? Nothing in this life can compare.
- Forgetting the Past and Looking Ahead – Philippians 3:12-14 (8/22/2014) - As believers we should follow Paul's example. Forgetting our past failures and successes, and looking forward to what lies ahead.
- Live Up To What You Have Attained – Philippians 3:16 (4/7/2021) - I find value in learning from the Scripture. But I have discovered that I need to live up to what I have attained in that study.
- Living As Enemies of the Cross of Christ – Philippians 3:17-21 (12/23/2013) - It is sad that many who call themselves Christians actually live as enemies of the cross of Christ, failing to honor him with their lives.
- Why Can’t We Get Along – Philippians 4:2 (6/22/2020) - Whenever two or more people get together, we can find conflict. But as believers, we should be of one mind in Christ. And able to get along.
- Rejoice in the Lord Always – Philippians 4:4 (9/6/2021) - When we look at the world around us, and our own lives, it might seem there is little to rejoice in. But we can always rejoice in the Lord.
- Do Not Be Anxious About Anything – Philippians 4:6-7 (6/29/2022) - There are many challenging things happening today. But Paul tells us not to be anxious about anything. Let God's peace rule in our hearts.
- What Do You Think About? – Philippians 4:8 (9/23/2019) - What do you think about during your day? Think about godly things. Because those things that fill your mind will be reflected in your life.
- I Can Do All Things Through Christ – Philippians 4:13 (4/20/2020) - Paul had learned the secret to contentment. A secret available to all of God's people. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
- A Fragrant Offering and Acceptable Sacrifice – Philippians 4:17-18 (1/15/2023) - Never grow weary of helping others. God considers the help we provide to other people as a fragrant offering and an acceptable sacrifice.
- Faith and Love that Spring from Hope – Colossians 1:4-5 (3/3/2021) - The church at Colossae was known for their faith in Christ and love for other believers. And those had sprung from their gospel hope.
- Living Worthy of the Lord – Colossians 1:9-10 (4/13/2021) - Can you live a life that is worthy of the Lord? We can with the knowledge and wisdom that the Holy Spirit gives. And that should be our goal.
- A Divine Rescue Mission – Colossians 1:13 (3/24/2021) - We delight in hearing about successful hostage rescues. But the greatest of all time was the divine rescue mission launched by God to free us.
- Reconciling All Things on Earth and in Heaven – Col. 1:19-20 (11/17/2021) - Through the blood of Christ, shed on the cross, God is working to reconcile to himself all things. Both on the earth and in heaven
- Continue in your Faith – Colossians 1:22-23 (10/28/2013) - You are not saved just by walking the aisle and saying the sinner's prayer. Salvation is for those who continue in their faith to the end.
- Deceived by Fine-Sounding Arguments – Colossians 2:2-4 (4/8/2014) - There are many teachers who will lead the unwary astray. Do not be deceived by fine-sounding arguments. Compare everything against Christ.
- Don’t Be Taken in by Deceptive Philosophy – Colossians 2:8 (4/20/2021) - Paul warns us against being taken in by deceptive philosophies that abound in our world. Instead, keep your eyes fixed on the Lord Jesus.
- The Cross: A Look From the Other Side – Colossians 2:13-15 (10/14/2013) - We most often see the physical side of the cross. But at the cross, Jesus defeated his enemies, and ours. The cross was his greatest victory.
- The Futility of Legalism – Colossians 2:20-23 (10/16/2013) - The futility of legalism should be obvious to anyone who has attempted to live by a strict code of conduct. It never changes a person's heart.
- Set Your Mind on Things Above – Colossians3:1-4 (6/10/2019) - As believers, we have died with Christ and are seated with him in heaven. So, we should set our minds on things above, on the kingdom of God.
- Being Renewed in God’s Image – Colossians 3:9-10 (12/30/2011) - Take off your old self with its practices and put on the new self. A self that is being renewed in God's image.
- Christ Is All and In All – Colossians 3:11 (5/19/2021) - There are many ways that our world divides us. But Christ's indwelling presence unites us together and tears down the dividing wall.
- Clothe Yourselves with Compassion – Colossians 3:12-14 (7/3/2022) - As follows of Jesus, we should clothe ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Topped off with love.
- Over All These Virtues, Put on Love – Colossians 3:14 (5/11/2020) - There are many attributes that should characterize the life of the believer. But over all of these, we are told to put on love. Love ties them all together.
- Do Everything in Jesus Name – Colossians 3:17 (11/1/2013) - As believers in our Lord Jesus, we represent him to the world around us. So be careful that everything you say or do is in Jesus's name.
- Devote Yourself to Prayer – Colossians 4:2 (4/27/2021) - How much time do you spend in the presence of God? Paul tells us here to devote yourself to prayer. Spend quality time with your God.
- Let Your Conversation Be Full of Grace – Colossians 4:6 (7/4/2022) - The words we use when talking to others, and the way we use them are so important. Let your conversation always be gracious and uplifting,
- Epaphras: Prayer Warrior Extraordinaire- Colossians 4:12 (7/8/2019) - I have hear the term prayer warrior most of my life. But what does the term mean? I believe that the brief glimpse we get of Epaphras shines a light on it.