Home » Bible Study » Old Testament Prophecy
The Old Testament Prophets
The posts listed here are studies in the Old Testament books of the prophets. It covers the books from Isaiah through Malachi.
- Lord, Here I Am. Send Me! – Isaiah 6:8 (5/20/2020) - When God called for a volunteer to go, Isaiah did not hesitate. He jumped up and said, "Here I am. Send me!"
- Stand Firm in Your Faith – Isaiah 7:9 (8/22/2022) - All of us face challenges. As well as options for providing security. But the only real security we can have is to stand firm in our faith.
- The Virgin Will Conceive and Give Birth to a Son – Isaiah 7:14 (12/23/2020) - The virgin will conceive! What a marvelous sign that God has given to us. This child born to Mary over 2000 years ago is 'God with us'.
- Conspiracy Theories Abound – Isaiah 8:12 (4/21/2021) - Conspiracy theories abound in the world today. But as believers, we should trust in God rather than get caught up in fear over these theories.
- For to Us a Child Is Born – Isaiah 9:1-7 (12/25/2019) - For to us, a child is born. And that child is Jesus, God himself, wrapped in flesh. Come and adore him this Christmas.
- For to Us, a Child Is Born – Isaiah 9:6-7 (12/25/2020) - Wishing you a very joyous Christmas as you celebrate that child born in Bethlehem 2000 years ago, Jesus, the Son of God.
- The Sovereignty God Uses Even the Ungodly – Isaiah 10:12 (4/14/2021) - It is comforting to know that the sovereign God uses the ungodly for his purposes, even while holding them accountable for their actions.
- God is my Salvation. I Will Not Be Afraid – Isaiah 12:2 (4/22/2021) - God is my salvation. He is my strength and defense. No matter what this world may bring against me, I am secure in God and will trust in him.
- Kept in Perfect Peace – Isaiah 26:3 (7/1/2020) - In the midst of uncertain and troubling times, trust in the Lord. He will keep in perfect peace all those whose hope is in him.
- Giving Lip Service to God – Isaiah 29:13 (3/31/2021) - How much of my 'Christian' life is merely external activity? Do I only honor God with my lips? Or with my heart as well?
- The Potter and the Clay – Isaiah 29:16 (9/12/2022) - There is much that goes on that I do not understand. But I trust that God is the master potter who is shaping the clay into his masterpiece.
- Fear of the Lord Is Key to a Strong Foundation – Isaiah 33:6 (10/28/2020) - There are many sources that our world turns to for salvation, wisdom and knowledge. But the fear of the Lord is the only true source.
- What If You Knew How Long You Had? – Isaiah 38:5 (9/21/2022) - What if you knew how much longer you had to live? Would it change how you lived your life? How much time would you waste or invest unwisely?
- An Expression of God’s Sovereignty – Isaiah 40:21-24 (9/23/2022) - This passage from Isaiah is a wonderful expression of the sovereignty of God. He sits enthroned above the earth, and we are as grasshoppers.
- Soaring On Wings Like Eagles – Isaiah 40:28-31 (6/3/2020) - Sometimes it can be easy to think God doesn't care. But trust him. He can renew your strength so you can soar on wings like an eagle.
- When You Walk Through the Fire – Isaiah 43:1-2 (9/27/2022) - We will face many challenges in this life. But as God's children, we can be assured that when we walk through the fire, he is walking with us.
- Trust God to Carry You – Isaiah 46:4 (9/30/2022) - There are many things in this world that we trust in. But only God can be trusted to carry us through whatever may come our way.
- By His Wounds We Are Healed – Isaiah 53:5-6 (4/19/2019) - Take time today to read this song, Isaiah 52:13-53:12, and meditate on its words. Remember it is by Jesus' wounds that we are healed.
- Come, All Who Are Thirsty – Isaiah 55:1-2 (10/11/2022) - This invitation is made to all who hunger and thirst for something more than this world can offer. Come to the Lord's table and be filled.
- God’s Ways Are Not Our Ways – Isaiah 55:8-9 (3/13/2019) - God reminds us through Isaiah that his thoughts are not our thoughts, and God's ways are not our ways. This is an important reminder.
- A Fast Pleasing To God – Isaiah 58:6-7 (2/20/2019) - Isaiah tells us what kind of fast is pleasing to God. It is one where I take what I would spend on myself, and share it with those in need.
- My Sin Has Separated Me from God – Isaiah 59:1-2 (12/2/2022) - As a believer, when I feel separated from God, it is likely because of my sin. It comes between us and hinders a close relationship.
- My Soul Rejoices In My God – Isaiah 61:10 (10/17/2022) - Over 50 years ago I surrendered my life to Jesus as my Lord. And my soul rejoices in God and what he has done, is doing, and will do in me.
- Who Tremble at My Word – Isaiah 66:2 (10/25/2022) - Does God's word cause you to tremble? Not with fear. But with a listening and responsive heart that seeks to respond in obedience.
- I Am With You and Will Rescue You – Jeremiah 1:19 (7/29/2020) - God's message to Jeremiah, "I am with you", is especially relevant to us today. Be faithful to God's call in your life, and he will be with you.
- What Do You Take Pride in? – Jeremiah 9:23-24 (12/26/2022) - What do you take pride in? Your accomplishments and abilities? Or in what God has done, and is doing, in your life?
- A Lesson in Faithful Service – Jeremiah 15:21 (11/9/2022) - Jeremiah's life is a lesson in faithful service to the Lord. His life seemed to make little difference. But he was faithful to God's call.
- Revealing the Power and Might of God – Jeremiah 16:21 (6/30/2021) - The power and might of God is displayed in many ways in the Bible. But none more life changing than in the cross of Jesus.
- The Lord Searches Our Hearts and Minds – Jeremiah 17:10 (9/27/2021) - While our motives may be hidden from most people, the Lord searches the hearts and minds of people, and rewards them accordingly.
- Two Baskets of Figs – Jeremiah 24:4-7 (8/19/2020) - Jeremiah's vision of two baskets of figs demonstrates God's sovereignty over nations and the affairs of this world. God chooses who he will.
- Life As an Exile – Jeremiah 29:4-7 (11/25/2022) - As believers, we experience life now as exiles, living away from our true home. But we should live productive lives while we are here.
- I Know the Plans I Have for You – Jeremiah 29:11 (6/24/2020) - I know the plans I have for you. This promise made to Israel applies to believers today. God's plan is to give us a future with him.
- It’s Never Too Late to Turn to God – Jeremiah 36:3 (8/2/2021) - No matter where you are in your life, as long as you still have life, it is not too late to turn to God and respond to his offer of salvation.
- False and Misleading Prophets – Lamentations 2:14 (12/15/2022) - False and misleading prophets abound. Rather than proclaiming God's word, they say what people want to hear so they can collect a following.
- Hope in the Midst of Trouble – Lamentations 3:21-24 (5/29/2019) - When you find yourself in a time of tribulation and all hope seems gone. Trust in God's love. Let him be your hope in the midst of trouble.
- Whether They Listen or Not – Ezekiel 2:7 (8/16/2021) - We have been given good news to share with a lost and dying world. And we are responsible to share it, whether or not they listen to us.
- Listen Carefully to the Lord’s Words – Ezekiel 3:10 (12/20/2021) - God speaks to us today through the words of the Bible. And, like Ezekiel, we are called to listen carefully to what God is saying to us.
- No Pleasure in the Death of the Wicked – Ezekiel 18:23 (7/17/2019) - Ezekiel is clear that God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked, preferring they turn to him. That challenges me to respond likewise.
- A Reason for Unanswered Prayer – Ezekiel 20:31 (1/4/2023) - There may be many reasons for unanswered prayer. But one of them is sin in our lives. We should not expect God to hear us if that is the case.
- Then They Will Know that I Am the LORD – Ezekiel 30:26 (1/10/2023) - Many today deny the sovereignty of God in their lives. But judgment is coming, and then they will know that he is the Lord.
- I Have Made You a Watchman – Ezekiel 33:7-9 (1/12/2022) - A watchman is one who reports about approaching danger. And that is something that all believers have a responsibility to do.
- Hearing and Obeying the Word of God – Ezekiel 33:31-32 (1/12/2023) - Many of us listen to the words of the Bible. But how often do we obey them? We need to hear and then obey the word of God.
- Hearing God’s Word, but Not Practicing It? – Ezekiel 33:31-32 (6/26/2019) - As Christians we generally listen to a sermon each week, and regularly read the Bible. But are we faithful to put into practice what we hear in God's word?
- Our God Is Able to Deliver Us – Daniel 3:17-18 (1/22/2023) - Follow the example of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and refuse to compromise. Trust that our God is able to deliver us from ever any peril.
- When Authorities Conflict – Daniel 6:10 (1/24/2023) - Human authorities are instituted by God, and I am to submit to them. Until their authority conflicts with God. And then I will submit to God.
- One Like A Son of Man – Daniel 7:13-14 (1/23/2023) - Jesus is that one like a son of man Daniel saw approaching the Ancient of Days. The one who received an eternal throne and kingdom.
- Prayer: Because of His Great Mercy – Daniel 9:18 (12/2/2020) - Why does God hear and respond to our prayer? It is not because of anything that we are. Rather, it is because of his great mercy toward us.
- We Have Been Led Astray by False Gods – Amos 2:4 (8/21/2019) - God pronounced judgment on the nation of Judah because they had been led astray by false gods. Are we any different now?
- The Qualifications to Serve God – Amos 7:14-15 (2/17/2023) - What are the qualifications to serve God? More important than ability and training, is willingness. If you are willing, God will do the rest.
- A Famine for Hearing the Word of the Lord – Amos 8:11 (10/14/2020) - How can we avoid a famine for hearing the word of the Lord in the U.S.? Only when the church repents and faithfully proclaims God's message.
- Running from God’s Call to Service – Jonah 1:3 (4/22/2020) - How much like Jonah are many of God's people today? Running from God's call to service. How much better to obey than end up as whale food.
- Sharing God’s Concern for the World – Jonah 4:9-11 (2/24/2023) - The story of Jonah tells us that God cares about everyone, even our enemies. Will we share God's concern and share his love with the world?
- What Does the Lord Require of You? – Micah 6:6-8 (8/28/2019) - What does the Lord require? Great personal sacrifice? Church attendance? To tithe? Or to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God?
- What Does God Require? – Micah 6:8 (4/28/2013) - What does God require of me? Salvation is by faith, not by works. But God does expect me to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God.
- But As for Me, I Will Hope in the Lord – Micah 7:7 (3/3/2023) - In the midst of a world that had turned its back on God, Micah's words are inspiring. But as for me, I will wait in hope for the Lord.
- Why Does God Tolerate Evil? – Habakkuk 1:13 (11/28/2022) - Why does God tolerate all of the evil in our world? This was Habakkuk's question. And God's answer to him was that judgment was coming.
- No Matter What; Rejoice in the Lord – Habakkuk 3:17-18 (5/6/2021) - Rejoice in the Lord. Not just when life's circumstances are good. But even when they are rotten. He enables us to stand regardless.
- Give Careful Thought to Your Ways – Haggai 1:7-9 (11/11/2020) - The prophet Haggai challenges us to give careful thought to how we invest our time and resources. The best return is in what is given to God.
- A Picture of our Salvation – Zechariah 3:1-4 (12/1/2021) - The vision Zechariah sawing concern Joshua, the high priest, is a very good picture of our own salvation and what the Lord as done for us.
- A Coming Priest and King – Zechariah 6:11-13 (3/19/2023) - The word of the Lord given through the prophet Zechariah of a coming Priest/King was perfectly fulfilled in Jesus, our high priest and king.
- Show Mercy and Compassion – Zechariah 7:9-12 (11/18/2020) - Ancient Israel was repeatedly condemned by God, through the prophets for their social injustice. Maybe we should take a hint.
- Don’t Show Contempt for the Lord – Malachi 1:6-8 (12/16/2020) - Do you show contempt for the Lord by offering to him less than your best? Honor God by giving yourself, and all you do, fully to him.
- Flooding the Lord’s Altar with Tears – Malachi 2:13-14 (3/28/2023) - Is it reasonable to expect the Lord to respond to my prayer if I am not faithful to him? Even if I flood the altar with my tears?
- The Day of the Lord is Coming – Malachi 4:1-2 (3/30/2023) - The day of the Lord is coming. And when it does, our faithfulness to the Lord will be rewarded while the unrighteous will face destruction.