The Doctrine of Christ
The articles linked on this page are about the person of Christ and the work of Christ. Jesus is the second person of the Trinity; fully God and fully man. And Jesus’ death on the cross has made the redemption of humanity possible. The first two posts on this page are a part of a systematic theology class I taught. In addition, I have written a brief summary of my beliefs concerning Jesus.
- The Doctrine of the Nature of Jesus Christ (4/12/2018) - The nature of Jesus . . . He is the second person of the Trinity. And he is both fully God and fully man, perfectly united into one person.
- The Doctrine of the Work of Jesus Christ (4/29/2018) - The primary work of Jesus is offering himself as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Jesus' atonement for us is essential for our salvation.
- The Exaltation of Jesus – Philippians 2:5-11 (7/30/2012) - This early hymn is one of exaltation for Jesus, one who was fully God, who became fully man, and who died as a sacrifice for our sin.
- Arminianism: Atonement for All (8/25/2017) - The atoning sacrifice of Jesus was made for the sins of the whole world. But that atonement is only effective to those who believe.
- God Loves the Whole World, with No Exception (3/15/2019) - And John makes it clear that God loves the world. Not just some people who are in the world. But he has a love for everyone. And Jesus came to be the savior of everyone. And all who will believe in him will experience that salvation he offers. Those who refuse to believe will remain in this world and be condemned.
- The Radiance of God’s Glory – Hebrews 1:3 (3/29/2019) - The Son, Jesus, is the radiance of God's glory; of all that God is. Jesus told Philip that when we see the Son, we see God the Father.
- Jesus’ Dark Night of the Soul (9/27/2019) - The dark night of the soul. A time of anguish. How do you face it? Jesus faced it by turning to God and finding the strength to continue.
- What Did Jesus Know While On Earth in a Human Body (11/22/2019) - Jesus was fully God and fully human. And in his humanity, he was like us. He grew tired, hungry, and thirsty. And he lacked all knowledge.
- What Does it Mean to Be In Christ? (1/3/2020) - Repeatedly the New Testament talks about us being in Christ. When I am in him, I am saved. When I am not in him, I am lost.
- Why Was Jesus Crucified? The Foolishness of the Cross (2/21/2020) - Jesus was crucified as a ransom and penalty for our sin. But God also chose to use the foolishness of the cross to save those who believe.
- Jesus’ Fulfillment of Prophecy in Matthew (6/5/2020) - One of the significant aspects of Matthew's gospel of Jesus is his concern with showing Jesus' fulfillment of the prophecy made about him.
- Jesus As the Fulfillment of the Law and Prophets (1/1/2021) - Jesus claimed to be the fulfillment of the Law and Prophets. But what did he mean? That he fulfilled some prophecy? Or something much more?
- The Empty Tomb and Its Importance to Christianity (1/8/2021) - Central to the Christian faith is the death and resurrection of Jesus. But how significant is the empty tomb? What value is there in it?