The Doctrine of Christ
The articles linked on this page are about the person of Christ and the work of Christ. Jesus is the second person of the Trinity; fully God and fully man. And Jesus death on the cross has made the redemption of humanity possible. The first two posts on this page are a part of a systematic theology class I taught. In addition, I have written a brief summary of my beliefs concerning Jesus.
- The Person of Jesus Christ - April 12, 2018Who is Jesus? The orthodox position in Christianity on the person of Jesus is that Jesus is fully God as well as fully human. He was God from eternity past and will be into eternity future. But at his incarnation, he took on human flesh and became like one of…
- The Work of Jesus - April 29, 2018The primary work of Jesus is offering himself as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. While there are differing views of the atonement, all of them see Jesus' atonement for us as essential for our salvation.
- Fulfilling the Law – Matthew 5:17-20 - July 1, 2013Christ has set me free from the tyranny of the law, and by an act of grace, declared me to be righteous. He has set me free from the law of sin and death, and made me free to love.
- What About Jesus - January 23, 2014Central to Christianity is the person and work of Jesus of Nazareth. Most religions can trace their origin back to a person. But generally that person is not significant except for their teachings. Who and what they were, or even if they existed, is really not all that important. Jesus…
- Arminianism: Atonement for All - August 25, 2017The atoning sacrifice of Jesus was made for the sins of the whole world. But that atonement is only effective to those who believe.
- For God So Loved the World: But Who Is the World? - March 15, 2019And John makes it clear that God loves the world. Not just some people who are in the world. But he has a love for everyone. And Jesus came to be the savior of everyone. And all who will believe in him will experience that salvation he offers. Those who…
- The Radiance of God’s Glory – Hebrews 1:3 - March 29, 2019The Son, Jesus, is the reflection of God's glory; of all that God is. In John 14:9, Jesus told Philip that when we see Jesus, we see God the Father.
- Jesus’ Dark Night of the Soul in the Garden - September 27, 2019Dark night of the soul. A time of despair. How do you face it when it comes to you. Jesus faced it by turning to God, and found strength to continue.
- What Did Jesus Know While On Earth in a Human Body - November 22, 2019Jesus was both fully God and fully human. But in his humanity, what did Jesus know? Did he have all knowledge? Or was he limited to what a human could know?
- What Does it Mean that We Are ‘in Christ’? - January 3, 2020Repeatedly the New Testament talks about us being in Christ. We are not so much individuals who are in relationship with God as we are part of his body.
- Why Was Jesus Crucified? The Foolishness of the Cross - February 21, 2020Why was Jesus crucified? As a ransom and penalty for our sin. But God also choose to use the foolishness of the cross to save those who would believe.
- Jesus’ Fulfillment of Prophecy in Matthew - June 5, 2020One of the significant aspects of Matthew's gospel of Jesus is his concern to show Jesus' fulfillment of prophecy made about him in the Old Testament.
- Jesus As the Fulfillment of the Law and Prophets - January 1, 2021Jesus claimed to be the fulfillment of the Law and Prophets. But what did he mean? That he fulfilled some prophecy? Or something much more?
- The Empty Tomb and Its Importance to Christianity - January 8, 2021Central to the Christian faith is the death and resurrection of Jesus. But how significant is the empty tomb? What value is there in it?